Okay. .this month my beauties I decided to challenge myself and try out some drugstore makeup, yes I am not kidding! You all know I love my Sephora and MAC, but I am really curious to see if there are some other great drugstore makeup out there to try. I will be honest, purchasing drugstore makeup is not my favorite thing to do because I like to try things out before I buy it too make sure the products does what it says. You know what I mean? Now, eye shadows, lipsticks, and mascaras I am safe with, but foundation is the scariest thing for me to try at the drugstore. Why? Well, you are unable to color match and I hate to make the trip to buy something that may not match and have to drive all the way back to the drugstore to return and go through the same process all over again, right? So, now you know my reasoning.
Anyway, during the middle of last month I decided to be brave and try out Maybelline's Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation$7.99, I picked up because I have been seeing a lot of reviews on this product on youtube and on various beauty blogs as well.
What Maybelline says about the Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation:
- It Unique cream-whipped foundation provides 100% baby-smooth perfection.
- Skin looks and feels hydrated for 14 hours – never rough or dry
- Lightweight formula provides perfectly moisturizing coverage
- Blends seamlessly and feels fresh all-day
- Oil-free, Fragrance-free, Dermatologist Tested, Allergy Tested, Non-comedogenic – won’t clog pores.
- Safe for sensitive skin
Now, this product contains the foundation and a sponge for application. I typically don't like to use a sponge for applying this foundation so I decided to use my Too Faced Cosmetics Kabuki Brush $32, to applying the foundation in order to achieve a light airbrushed look to this cream foundation.
Characteristics of the foundation when applying it and wearing:
- The foundation felt light and smooth to the touch. Not cakey or heavy feeling at all!
- Blendability of the foundation was easy and smooth too.
- The Coverage of this foundation is a light to medium coverage to me. However, you can build this one up with out it getting too cakey and messy.
- The color of the foundation was slightly deeper on my complexion, but manageable with some blending.
- Very hydrating to the skin which is great if you have a normal to dry skin type. If you are on the oilier side, this formula maybe a bit much and you may want to opt and use Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse Foundation $7.99, since it will offer more mattifying for oily skin.
- Wearability throughout the work day was pretty good! Just make sure you use a foundation primer and set this foundation with a powder that has a dewy finish. My favorite powder to use with this foundation was MAC's mineralized skinfinish. My shade is medium deep.
The downside to this foundation is the shade range. Maybelline only offers 10 shades in this formula, so with that said the said I purchased the 350 caramel and that was the darkest available. I hope that Maybelline offer deeper shades of this formula because I think this will be a great affordable cream foundation option for those with normal to dry skin that need a hydrating cream foundation for the winter months.
However, if you are a loyal department store makeup lover definitely try out Laura Mercier's Laura Mercier 'Creme Smooth' Foundation $50. This foundation is next on my list tryouts.Laura Mercier's foundation has a hydrating formula that includes a multipeptide complex infused with Dermaxyl and advanced optical diffusers that help to visibly smooth out lines and wrinkles. This foundation is also perfect for normal to dry skin and it offers buildable coverage with a radiant, smooth finish. Pricey, but for what you pay you will receive some wonderful skincare benefits from the multipeptide that is firming and I love all the firming I can get.